Last Updated: 30 June 2021
You do not have to provide us with any Personal Data to visit the Site. However, if you choose to withhold requested information, you may not be able to visit all sections or use all features of the Site.
TYPES OF DATA COLLECTED
We gather Personal Data and Other Data (as described below).
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
Personal data is information that identifies you or can be used to identify or contact you, e.g., your name, email address, address, or phone number (“Personal Data”). We may need to collect and process Personal Data in order to provide requested information, products or services to you (including the Site) or because we are legally required to do so and/or we have a legitimate interest to do so.
- Who Owns Whom requests Personal Data from you where the Site requires registration. The registration process requests that you provide your name, email address, phone number, company affiliation and city (where relevant), and may require you to agree to a User Agreement presented at the time of registration.
- Who Owns Whom may receive Personal Data from social media platforms. For example, if you elect to use your social media credentials to log-in to your Site account, certain Personal Data from your social media account will be shared with us, which may include Personal Data that is part of your social media profile.
- Who Owns Whom may collect Personal Data voluntarily provided by you, including in emails, online forms, order and registration forms, surveys, promotion participation, phone calls and online chats with Who Owns Whom customer service and through other means.
- On some of Who Owns Whom’s Sites you may be able to maintain “watchlists,” where, if you are a registered user, you have the option to follow companies or industries in which you have a special interest. To be useful, this information must be stored on the Site, and is accessible to anyone with whom you share your username and password. For this reason, please safeguard your username and password carefully and do not disclose it to any other person.
- Who Owns Whom collects information through various other means, including participation at conferences and events, individual introductions, from employers that enrol their employees in our services, and from selected third-party business partners.
USE OF PERSONAL DATA COLLECTED
We use Personal Data for legitimate business purposes, including the following:
- Fulfilment of Requests. Who Owns Whom may use Personal Data about you to deliver products and services to you, and provide you with information about products and services you’ve ordered. We will engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you and/or to comply with a legal obligation. We may further use this information to respond to your query, including providing you with any requested information about our products and services. We may also email you several times after your enquiry in order to follow up on your interest and ensure that we have answered you to your satisfaction. We will do this based on our legitimate interest in providing accurate information prior to a sale.
- We do not use the information you provide to make any automated decisions that might affect you.
- Marketing Communications. From time to time, we may use Personal Data about you to inform you of products, programs, services and promotions that we believe may be of interest to you. If your employer is a Who Owns Whom customer, we may also inform you of such products, programs, services and promotions using Personal Data about you that your employer provided to Who Owns Whom. If you would prefer that we not send electronic marketing messages to you, please see the “Your Choices” section below.
- Other Business Purposes. We may also use Personal Data about you for other business purposes, such as data analysis (for example, to improve the efficiency of our services), editorial and feedback purposes, providing customer support, customizing and improving the content and layout of the Site, completing business transactions (for example, to confirm content requested is received by customers), development of marketing and promotion plans and materials, statistical analysis of user behavior (for example, to understand what parts of the Site are of most interest to users), product development, market research, administering individual accounts, and meeting government regulatory requirements such as sales tax collection, audits, etc.
COLLECTION AND USE OF OTHER DATA
- Monitoring Data. Who Owns Whom and its service providers may collect and/or track other information such as demographic information, domain names, computer type, browser types, screen resolution, and other statistical data involving the use of the Site (“Monitoring Data”). We use Monitoring Data to help us understand who uses the Site and to improve and market it, as well as our other web sites and services.
Unless combined with Personal Data, Monitoring Data does not personally identify you or any other user, and we may use it for any purpose.
- Aggregated Data. We may aggregate Personal Data in a manner such that the end-product does not personally identify you or any other user of the Site, for example, by using information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code. Such aggregate information may also be used for any purpose.
- We do not respond to browser do-not-track signals at this time.
- IP Addresses. When you visit and interact with the Site, we and our third-party service providers may collect Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). This number is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you visit the Site, along with the time(s) of your visit(s) and the page(s) that you visited. We use IP addresses to understand how the Site is used by our users, to improve the Site and to enhance user experience of the Site. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA COLLECTED
We may disclose Personal Data for the following purposes:
- Third-Party Service Providers. We may provide Personal Data to third-party service providers, who provide services to us, including but not limited to, data analysis, order fulfilment, payment processing, and other services.
- Strategic Partners and Co-Branded Sites. From time to time, we may enter into a special relationship with another company that is not owned by or affiliated with Who Owns Whom to provide or promote joint products, services, applications, or features (together, “Jointly Offered Items”). These special relationships may include co-branded web sites (“co-branded pages”). Any information, including Personal Data, that you provide in connection with one of these Jointly Offered Items, and/or on one of these co-branded pages, will be shared with our third-party partners. You should check these third parties’ web sites for information regarding their privacy practices. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT DOES NOT ADDRESS THE PRIVACY OR INFORMATION PRACTICES OF ANY THIRD PARTIES. If you do not want Personal Data about you shared with such third parties, please do not provide Personal Data in connection with the Jointly Offered Items and/or co-branded pages.
- Third-Party Data Providers. If you subscribe to a Who Owns Whom product or service that contains third-party data, we may be required to provide your Personal Data to the third party as part of our reporting obligations. We will only do so if a third-party data provider conditions your receipt of their data on knowing your identity.
- Conferences and Events. When you attend a conference or event organized by Who Owns Whom, your name and contact information may be shared with other attendees.
- Promotions. We may share the Personal Data you provide in connection with Promotions with third-party sponsors of such Promotions (irrespective of whether such Promotions are hosted by us), or otherwise in accordance with the rules applicable to those Promotions.
- Assignment. We may disclose or transfer any and all Personal Data that we collect to an affiliated entity or a third party (and their respective advisors) in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including without limitation in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Data for marketing purposes.
- If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may stop receiving these marketing-related emails by sending an e-mail to email@example.com [please mark your email “Unsubscribe”.]
- If you would prefer that we do not share your Personal Data on a going-forward basis with our affiliates or with unaffiliated third parties for their marketing purposes, you may cease this sharing by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org [please mark your e-mail “Cease Sharing”.]
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you exercise the second option as described above, we will not be able to remove your Personal Data from the databases of our affiliates or unaffiliated third parties with which we have already shared your Personal Data (i.e., to which we have already provided your Personal Data as of the date that we implement your request). Further, please note that requesting us not to share your Personal Data with affiliates or unaffiliated third parties may result in you no longer receiving any marketing emails from Who Owns Whom. Please also note that if you choose not to receive marketing-related messages from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, and you cannot elect to stop receiving such administrative messages, unless you choose to stop receiving services from us.
You may also indicate your choices regarding marketing-related emails by contacting us via postal mail or telephone using the “Contact Information for Who Owns Whom” below, or if you have a Site profile/account, by changing your preferences on your Site profile/account at any time.
HOW YOU CAN ACCESS, CHANGE OR SUPPRESS YOUR PERSONAL DATA
If you would like to request to review, correct, update, suppress, delete or otherwise limit our use of your Personal Data that has been previously provided to us, or if you would like to request to receive an electronic copy of your Personal Data for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may make a request by emailing us on email@example.com, or by contacting us using the information provided in the “Contact Information for Who Owns Whom” below. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Data associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable and consistent with applicable law. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting the change or deletion. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
Who Owns Whom has established reasonable organizational and technical measures to protect Personal Data within our organization from loss, misuse, or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. Please note that while Who Owns Whom has endeavoured to create a secure and reliable Site for users, no site is 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please notify us of the problem immediately by emailing us on firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting us using the information provided below in “Contact Information for Who Owns Whom” (note that if you choose to notify us via physical mail, this will delay the time it takes for us to respond to the problem).
We will retain Personal Data about you for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include: (i) the length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you; (ii) whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject; and (iii) whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigations).
CROSS BORDER TRANSFER OF PERSONAL DATA
Your Personal Data may be stored and processed in another country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies, or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your Personal Data.
USE OF THIS SITE BY MINORS
This Site is not directed to individuals under the age of eighteen (18), and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Data through this Site.
SENSITIVE PERSONAL DATA
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Data (e.g. identification numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through this Site or otherwise to us.
YOUR RIGHTS AS A DATA SUBJECT
You are entitled (if reasonable) to:
- be notified when your personal information is being collected;
- if your personal information has been accessed or acquired by an unauthorised person;
- to establish whether we hold your personal information, and to request access to it;
- to request, the correction, destruction or deletion of your personal information;
- to object to our processing of your personal information, and especially for purposes of direct marketing;
- not have your personal information subject to decisions based solely on the basis of the automated processing;
- to submit a complaint to the Regulator regarding our processing of your personal information.
To submit a request regarding your personal data by email, post or telephone, please use the contact information provided below in “Contact Information for Who Owns Whom” section of this policy.
YOUR RIGHT TO COMPLAIN
If you have a complaint about our use of your personal information, we would prefer you to raise in with us in the first instance to give us the opportunity to put it right, but you can also contact the Information Regulator’s Office via their website at www.justice.gov.za/inforeg/contact.html by email at email@example.com or write to them at:
The Information Regulator (South Africa)
27 Stiemens Street
We will update the date of this document each time it is changed.
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR WHO OWNS WHOM
Questions or concerns regarding Who Owns Whom data protection practices should be addressed to:
Chief Information Officer
1st Floor, Block F
Southern Life Gardens
70 2nd Avenue
Postal address: P.O. Box 3044, Randburg, 2125, South Africa
Tel: +27 10 300 7442.