African Rainbow Minerals Ltd Organogram
African Rainbow Minerals Ltd (ARM) is the holding company for a diversified mining and minerals holding group. The current operational focus is on precious metals, ferrous metals, and alloys, including platinum group metals (PGMs), nickel, iron ore, manganese ore, chrome ore, ferromanganese, ferrochrome alloys and thermal coal. ARM also has an investment in the gold industry through its 12.1% shareholding in JSE-listed Harmony Gold.
The group operates principally in South Africa, with additional operations in Malaysia.
PGM interests include:
• Modikwa (41.5%) - Underground platinum mine produced 286 000 6E PGM ounces, has 5,278 employees, and a Life of Mine (LOM) of more than 20 years
• Two Rivers (54%) - Underground platinum mechanised mine produced 295 000 6E PGM ounces, has 6,060 employees, and a LOM of more than 23 years
• Nkomati Mine (50%) - Open pit nickel mine (by-products including PGM, chrome, copper, and cobalt) with 118 employees and is currently under care and maintenance since March 2021.
• Bokoni (100%) - Open pit platinum mine with 923 employees.
• Tamboti Platinum Mine (100%) - following the acquisition of Tamboti Platinum (Pty) Ltd, holder of a mining right over the Kalkfontein Remaining Extent (RE) adjacent to Two Rivers Mine. An agreement has been reached with Implats and approvals are awaited to transfer this property into the Two Rivers Mine mining right
Ferrous operations include:
• Khumani (50%) - Open pit merchandised iron ore mine produced 11.9Mt iron ore, has 3,658 employees, and a LOM of 19 years
• Beeshoek (50%) - Open pit iron ore mine, nickel, PGM's and chrome produced 2.5Mt iron ore, has 1,199 employees, and a LOM of 12 years
• Nchwaning (50%) and Gloria (50%) (collectively Black Rock)- Underground manganese ore mine produced 4.3Mt manganese ore, has 4,233 employees, and a LOM of more than 30 years
• Cato Ridge (50%) - Smelter, processed 116,000t high-carbon ferromanganese and has 635 employees.
• Cato Ridge (25%) - Alloys produced 56,400t of medium-carbon manganese alloy
• Machadorp (100%) - Smelter that is currently being used to develop energy-efficient smelting and has 118 employees.
• Sakura (27%) - Ferroalloys Smelter processed 253,000t of ferromanganese.
Thermal Coal mining operations:
• Goedgevonden - Open pit coal mine operation (51%) - unincorporated joint venture with Glencore Operations South Africa (Pty) Ltd produces 6.6Mt saleable thermal coal with a LOM of 24 years
• Participative Coal Business - Open and underground mine (the Impunzi and Tweefontein operations) (20.2%) - managed by Glencore produces 10.0Mt saleable thermal coal with a LOM of 12 years