Pepkor Holdings Ltd Organogram
Pepkor Holdings Ltd is a holding company for a group of non-grocery retailers focused on discount, value and specialised goods. Retail products include clothing, cosmetics, general merchandise, household goods, furniture, appliances, consumer electronics, building materials, cellular products and services and financial services. The group operates through a network of 5,830 retail stores with more than 2.5 million square metres retail space and operates across 5 African countries with stores located in Angola, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, and Zambia (sub-Saharan Africa). Products are also available online.
Operations were expanded to Brazil following the acquisition of an 87% interest in Grupo Avenida in February 2022. Pepkor generates 95% of its revenue in the Southern African Customs Union, which includes South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, and Eswatini (BLNE countries).
The group is organised into business units based on products and services through the following segments:
Clothing and General Merchandise, which includes all clothing, footwear, homeware and cellular products has a total of 4,809 stores:
• Pep - comprises 2,579 stores (South Africa and BLNE countries)
• Pep Africa - comprises 280 stores (79 Angola, 17 Malawi, 62 Mozambique, 44 Nigeria and 82 Zambia)
• Ackermans - comprises 951 stores (South Africa and BLNE countries)
• Pepkor Speciality, comprises 864 stores: 200 Dunns, 99 Refinery, 30 Code, 5 S.P.C.C., 150 Shoe City stores and 400 Tekkie Town stores
• Pep Clothing (PepClo) is the group's owned large manufacturing operation of basic apparel that provides products to PEP, Ackermans, Dunns and CODE. Employing 1,781 people, it produces most of Pep's schoolwear and has expanded to include underwear and flipflops.
• Avenida - Brazilian value retailer with 135 stores
Furniture, Appliances and Electronics, which includes JD Group and abacus brands, has a total of 888 stores in 4 countries, as of 30 September 2022:
• Bradlows - 238
• Russells - 254
• Rochester - 38
• Sleepmasters - 223
• Incredible Connection - 78
• HiFi Corporation - 57
• everyshop - online, with more than 600,000 monthly online users
Building Materials, includes The Building Company business which sources, distributes, wholesales & retails general and specialised building materials, has a total of 133 stores in 2 countries:
• Buco - 95
• Timbercity - 28
• MacNeil - 5
• Cachet - 4
• Other brands include: 1 Buchel, 3 W&B Hardware, 3 Citiwood, 4 Brands 4 Africa, 1 Bildware, 1 B-one, 2 Handles hinges & locks, and 3 Tiletoria.
FinTech, provides transaction platforms and financial services, but does not enable sales in any of the Pepkor retail brands:
• Flash - targets the informal retail market and provides customers mobile data and airtime, prepaid electricity, money transfers and Lotto. It has 202,000 Flash Traders in South Africa.
• Capfin provides customers with loan products and services. It operates in South Africa’s unsecured lending market and makes use of digital channels and the Pepkor retail store footprint to market its products. Capfin brand has 270,000 current loans.