Pepkor Holdings Ltd Organogram
Pepkor Holdings Ltd is as a holding company for a group of non-grocery retailers focused on discount, value and specialised goods. Retail products include clothing, cosmetics, general merchandise, household goods, furniture, appliances, consumer electronics, building materials, cellular products and services and financial services. The group operates through a network of 5,470 retail stores with more than 2.4 million square metres retail space, and operates across 10 African countries with stores located in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, Eswatini and Zambia (sub-Saharan Africa).
The group is organised into business units based on products and services through the following segments:
Clothing and General Merchandise, which includes all clothing, footwear, homeware and cellular products has a total of 4,493 stores:
• Pep - comprises 2,476 stores (South Africa and BLNE countries) - Pep sells 55% of all school wear in South Africa
• Pep Africa - comprises 284 stores (79 Angola, 17 Malawi, 62 Mozambique, 44 Nigeria and 82 Zambia)
• Ackermans - comprises 896 stores (South Africa)
• Pepkor Speciality, comprises 837 stores: 202 Dunns, 81 Refinery, 20 Code, 3 S.P.C.C., 132 Shoe City stores and 399 Tekkie Town stores
• The Pepkor corporate cost centre and group strategic services including PepClo, a clothing factory, employing 1,500 people, situated in Cape Town, that manufactures most of Pep's schoolwear has expanded to include underwear and flipflops.
Furniture, Appliances and Electronics, which includes JD Group brands, has a total of 864 stores (South Africa, Namibia, Eswatini and Botswana), as at 30 September 2021:
• Bradlows - 243
• Russells - 256
• Rochester - 35
• Sleepmasters - 202
• Incredible Connection - 77
• HiFi Corporation - 51
• everyshop - online, with more than 600,000 monthly online users
Building Materials, includes The Building Company business which sources, distributes, wholesales & retails general and specialised building materials, has a total of 113 stores (South Africa):
• Buco - 91
• Timbercity - 8
• MacNeil - 5
• Cachet - 4
• Chipbase - 5
• Other brands include: 2 Buchel, 3 W&B Hardware, 3 Citiwood, 1 Brands 4 Africa, 1 Bildware, 1 B-one and 3 Tiletoria.
FinTech, includes businesses which are unique and do not support any Pepkor retail brand’s performance, but utilise certain parts of the Pepkor retail store footprint:
• Flash - targets the informal retail market and provides customers mobile data and airtime, prepaid electricity, money transfers and Lotto. It has 203,000 Flash Traders in South Africa.
• Capfin provides customers with loan products and services. It operates in South Africa’s unsecured lending market and makes use of digital channels and the Pepkor retail store footprint to market its products. Capfin brand has 240,000 current loans.